Thursday, June 16, 2011

Getting an Interview and Getting Ready: Fretting About Wardrobe

I have applied for every manager position I could find on CareerBuilder.com within a 25-mile radius of my town that didn't require a very specific degree or set of skills that would take me 10 years to acquire. It took about nine to 10 hours to fill out all the forms and send my resume to the appropriate businesses.

The bad news? Massive, massive eye strain (I am thankful for eye drops).

The good news? I have already had one business call me and schedule an interview for tomorrow!

Now here is the conundrum: I lack some fashion sense as a woman, especially when it comes to professional attire. I own a business suit and several nice tops that can theoretically match said suit, even though I have no idea which one I should wear tomorrow. I have a really nice pair of comfortable shoes to match as well. I do own nice, simple, elegant jewelry that will hopefully compliment what I wear. The only makeup I own is lip gloss in varying shades of pink and plum, so it is easy to both put on and remove, and in all honesty, it's the only kind of makeup that makes sense and that I can stand to have on my face.

Many people would tell me to go buy makeup. Why? For the most part my skin is unblemished, so I don't need concealer. I have a naturally rosy complexion, so I don't need rouge. I can't wear mascara without it streaking my glasses. I have issues putting pointy things near my eyes so I don't like to use eye liner (because that would be putting a pointy thing full of chemicals near my eyes), and putting eye shadow on without eye liner looks ridiculous (as I found out when I tried it). I know that there is an expectation for women to wear makeup, but I honestly don't see the point of it.

One little other thing of note is that my business cards have not come in yet, and I was hoping to hand them out at interviews. However, I'd much have the interview without the business cards than no interview at all.

-AMW

No comments:

Post a Comment