Monday, June 27, 2011

Time Management Blues

I think that, for the most part, I do really well with time management. I can schedule things and be on time and very rarely have I ever needed to ask a professor or boss for extra time to finish a project. In fact, I can not remember in recent history when I have had to ask for extra time to finish a project, so I would say my time management is really good.

However, I am having a bit of an issue at this point regarding my duties to finish my thesis and my need to get a job. There are several businesses who are interested in me at this point, but I wouldn't be working a nine-to-five, Monday-to-Friday job with the weekends free. I would be working a job that, while a full-time 40-hours-a-week position, would be run over the course of six days a week, not five. I would have one day off a week, sometime in the middle of the week.

As for my thesis, volunteer participation has trickled to a standstill. I posted flyers all over town, and yet I did not receive one serious inquiry. Thankfully my friends have rallied and offered alternative solutions to acquiring volunteers, so I will still be able to get my thesis done the way my professors want it to be done. However, the scheduling for this makes it imperative that as long as I still need data for my thesis, I have to have the weekends open.

So now the real question is: how quickly can I get everybody together for my data collection, so that I can get in on one of these jobs and have gainful employment? Once I have the data, all I have to do is break it down and analyze it, then write the last chapters of my thesis and defend it. If I'm working, I can work on it an hour a night after my job, and then dedicate several hours to it on my one day off. I would also have to schedule my defense on my one day off from my job, which may be a bit tricky because one of the professors on my thesis panel travels a lot and he's usually only in town sporadically at best if class is not in session.

In a nutshell, scheduling far future events in the hopes that things will work out okay has been giving me problems. Also, predicting the future is not something I'm noted for, so trying to schedule aforementioned far future events is becoming very hit or miss for me, and I do not like it one bit.

-AMW

No comments:

Post a Comment