Tuesday, November 1, 2011

It's Not What You Know, It's Who You Know

The title of this particular blog is about something that has irked me for quite some time: using relatives/friends/acquaintances to gain your dream job.

The adage of "It's not what you know, it's who you know" has always bugged me, because it should be the other way around. Do you want the guy with a degree in accounting to be doing your PR, just because he's LinkedIn buddies with ten contacts you happen to have in common?

Short answer: No.
Long answer: Nooooooooo.

You want somebody who has trained to do a job to do that job. The guy with an accounting degree should be in the accounting department, and the person you find with either a degree and/or sufficient experience in PR should be doing your PR.

My dad and I had a pretty good conversation about this bizarre turn of events where people have gotten jobs through friends/acquaintances/networking, turned said jobs into careers, and never used the degrees they worked to obtain. I understand getting a job through acquaintances/friends if you need a stopgap to pay the bills, and networking to attain that dream job. But when I earn my Master's Degree in Public Communication & Technology, I don't want to be wasting my time flipping burgers! I want to use what I learned to help the business I'm working for, in a marketing, journalism, PR or technical writing capacity (since all are under the umbrella of the degree).

I would love to start my career by getting in with a company in a low-level job and working for a Marketing Director or a Lead Technical Writer. I would prove my worth and my skills, climb the ladder to a higher position, help the company with marketing strategies or better written/formatted user guides. That is where I would be happy, because I'd be right in the thick of things and taking on challenges.

I do admit that networking is useful, and I'm not bagging it entirely because it has helped a lot of my friends get good jobs/internships. However, I'd like HR departments and Hiring Managers to consider that while the whole six-degrees-of-separation thing is a way to meet people who could be qualified, it's the people who are qualified who should be getting the jobs, regardless of who they know on Facebook and/or LinkedIn. Doing a job right means it's what you know, not who you know, that matters in the end.

That's my two cents, at any rate.
-AMW

No comments:

Post a Comment