Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Part-Time Two-Step

I start my new part-time job on Monday, the training portion of it anyway. I will be working customer service, mostly calling to set up appointments for people. The pay is good for the work involved, and it leaves the majority of my days open because I'll be working in the evenings, so I'll still be able to work on gathering data for my thesis.

However, a part-time job, no matter how nice, is not a way to make ends meet in the long-run. Looking for full-time work in my field is the goal, and the part-time job is a stepping stone to get me closer to that goal. This doesn't mean that I will shirk any responsibility while working at the part-time job; it just means that I need to remind myself not to get comfortable, since I have a laundry-list of things to do in order to obtain my goal.

The one perk of having employment is that suddenly a lot of people see you as more employable. I already have one or two people waiting to hear from their bosses before they hire me for short gigs in contract work for proofreading and whatnot. Dad also says that companies love to poach workers from other companies as well; so being able to state that I'm currently working is a definite plus on a resume.

I'll be staying in Fort Collins for the next couple of months, at any rate, and I won't have to move back to Michigan now that I'm employed. I'm looking forward to finally working again and being in an office setting. I'll be able to stay long enough to finish my data collection, write the rest of my thesis and defend it, so I'll be graduating officially in Spring 2012. After that, I'll see where the job offers take me (and if they take me early...well, at least I'll have my data collected by the end of this year).

-AMW

No comments:

Post a Comment