Sunday, November 6, 2011

Relocation Jitters

More and more, I've been applying to jobs that are not in Colorado. While I'd love to stay in Fort Collins or Colorado in general, I've realized that if I'm going to get a technical writing or public communications job, I have to be more than just willing to move; I have to be ready to move in order to work.

I know that a lot of people are not willing to move in order to get a job. I understand that it's daunting and scary and really unsettling in general to move several hundred miles in order to work, removing yourself from everything familiar. I did the same thing to go to graduate school; picked up and moved over 1,200 miles from the town I grew up and lived in for 25 years, just for a chance to better myself. It was terrifying at first, but then I met some amazing people and the fear left just as quickly as it came.

I do not fear moving for a job; at this point, I think it would be a new kind of adventure. I would welcome the challenge of going to a new place and getting into a new city-culture. I can always keep up with old friends online, and make new friends wherever I land. I'm not scared of new people anymore (and for the record, I used to be painfully shy when it came to parties and meeting groups of new people).

What do you dear readers think of relocating?

-AMW

2 comments:

  1. Alice,

    Relocating from Colorado is TOUGH! It is an amazing place. Having a job is important and neccessary. If you have to move, look at it this way-you are setting yourself up to gain good experience so you can move back to Colorado if you want to later on in life and for the longer term. In this economy, be flexible, you never know where life will take you. For example, I live in a cheese filled land called Milwaukee.....

    Love,
    Bridge

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea verily, moving sucks. however, the ability to pay bills instead of becoming a debt fugitive is awesome. and really, what other time do you get to show new people the exact technique needed to punch bees in the face?
    mar
    ps- for the record, i love lands where you can walk into any gas station and satisfy your need for cheese curds :P

    ReplyDelete