Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Achieving Goals Outside of Job Searching

Happy Tuesday, Readers! Hopefully everybody had a good weekend, and enjoyed watching some sportsball (or, in the event you didn't particularly care for the sportsball, you were entertained by the commercials and the half-time show).

I spent most of my weekend studying. Several blog posts ago, I said I was signing up for a couple grant writing courses online. One of them is instructor-led, and she releases two lessons every week, leaving time for people to do quizzes, assignments, and engage in the discussion board. The other is self-paced, and students can go as fast or slow as they need within reason. On Sunday, I took the final exam for the self-paced course, and I passed with a 97.2%. That course is now finished and I have a certificate of completion.

Acquiring a sense of accomplishment over something you have done, separate from your job search, can be very invigorating. I know I woke up yesterday looking forward to the research required to perform a good job search and creation of job application materials. I didn't even get downtrodden with the all-day snow that was happening outside my window, though it made checking the mail later a bit more exciting, especially with the sheet of ice that was under the snow.

Accomplishments can keep you going, and can help you keep a cheery disposition, even in the face of something most people do not like doing, like jury duty...which is something I may have to partake in this week. I find out on Thursday if I have to report for jury pool on Friday morning to the municipal court here in town, but I don't mind the thought of it as much as I did prior to my final exam. If it happens, it happens, and I go do my civic duty as part of the justice system.

I touched a bit in an earlier post about keywords that the end goal is acquiring a full-time job, and likened it to a game. The end goal, or win-state, of the game is always the most important part of the game, but when playing video games, sometimes it is the side quests that give you the bonuses you need in order to get to the end of the game and acquire the win-state. I view both the weekly posts of this blog, and the online courses, to be side quests that will help me acquire my win-state.

The game continues, and I'm unlocking achievements on the way.

-A.M.W.

No comments:

Post a Comment