Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Taking Time Out For Nature

When most of working life is dedicated to staring at screens, and a lot of leisure time is also spent staring at screens (e.g., television, movies, video games, digital book readers, web surfing), it is important to unplug and not stare at screens. This is harder in the winter months, as sometimes the weather is a barrier, but it is still important to go outside. Even if you are not in the best physical shape, breathing fresh air can do wonders to improve your mood and give your brain a rest.

Having been at this job search for full-time work for several months, I find that whenever I am stuck on something, taking a walk around my HOA's campus helps. Breathing fresh air, not looking at my phone, and taking in the beauty that is Colorado helps immensely when I need to sort out a problem. All the things that have been bugging me can get tangled up if I sit still and stew for too long, and stretching out my legs is one of the best ways I've found to untangle the mess and organize my brain.

It's important not to get lost in your own head, because that will lead to so much unnecessary stress, and unnecessary stress can make you sick. Being sick while also on a job hunt 1) is no fun, and 2) makes for additional stress because there are things you still have to accomplish, and 3) can make for awkward interviews, because literally nobody wants to sound sick when they're on a phone interview, nor do they want to look sick for an in-person interview. A nice walk will help you get exercise, relieve stress, and will overall improve your health, as long as you wear weather appropriate clothing.

So take some time today to take a walk; even if it's just in your back yard, or a short jaunt to your mailbox, your brain and body will thank you. I will be taking one as soon as I get this posted, because it is a sunny, beautiful day here, and I want to be out in it.

-A.M.W.

No comments:

Post a Comment