Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Being A Responsible Job Seeker

Happy Tuesday, Dear Readers.

As we near the end of February, I have to take a look back on this journey of the past six months. I wasn't entirely unemployed during that time, having picked up a part-time work contract that lasted about two-and-a-half months during the autumnal season, but full-time work has proven more elusive than I thought it would be at this point in my life.

I have had an amazing support network, which I am thankful for down to my marrow. For every resume and cover letter that has been proofed at the workforce center, for all the calls from friends and family that let me vent, for all the emails and messages sent to cheer me up, for the outings to take a break and regroup with friends, I appreciate every moment of that time.

It is true that I have had some very good phone interviews as of late, but the rub is that it is this late in the game. Money makes the world go 'round, and while I am okay with money right now, I cannot wait forever. It is time to ask for more professional help, in the form of signing up for a staffing service and taking temp jobs. It is not the ideal solution, as I would have loved to get a job in my preferred field, but for now there are future bills to consider, because there are always future bills.

I am still going to look for a job in my preferred field. I am still going to take more classes on grant writing (I need to take the final exam on the instructor-led course I am taking now, and then I will be done with that one and ready to sign up for more). I am still going to interview to the best of my ability, and I will find the job that is right for me. 

I am not giving up, but I need to mitigate what I want with what I need, because what I need is to be a responsible job seeker and take care of myself so that I may be successful in the future. Part of being a responsible job seeker, and in fact a responsible adult, is knowing when to ask for help in accomplishing a goal. It took me a long time to learn that lesson.

I picked up a list of staffing agencies in my town last week when I was at the workforce center. Each one has a list of what type of employment they provide and what job tracks they cover. I have already highlighted a handful to research, as they seem more in keeping with the type of jobs I want and will help pad my resume.

I hope, Dear Readers, that your week ahead is a good one; but I also hope that if it is not, you have people you can lean on and ask for help. 

-A.M.W.

No comments:

Post a Comment