Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Time Well Spent?

I've been a flurry of activity in the past several weeks. In an effort not to be bogged down with a lot of nonsense in my house, I've gone through and sorted out clothes and linens, trinkets and tools. I've decided what to keep, what to donate, and what is beyond saving and really ought to go into the trash, and acted accordingly. My house is as decluttered as I've had it in a long, long time. It feels good.

It also coincides with my parents visiting me; they will be here in a couple days, to help me celebrate my birthday. I am turning 37, and while it doesn't feel any different, I have to pause and take stock of what I've done so far and wonder: was it time well spent?

I could argue either way about it, honestly. Did I need to play all those video games when I could have been learning to code? Certainly not. Did I need to play all those video games to help me unwind from whatever stress was knotting my shoulders and keeping me from sleep? Absolutely yes.

This could go on, back and forth on so many other topics throughout my life, until my head is dizzy with it. How do we measure if our time was well spent? Is it the accomplishments, accolades, and achievements peppered throughout our lives? Is it how many people like us at any given moment? I'm not sure there is any sort of metric we could all agree on, which really might be for the best.

I'm going to step away from my computer after I finish posting this, and do the last bit of cleaning that needs doing before my parents get here. Then, after dinner, I'm going to keep crocheting the blanket I'm close to finishing for my niece for Christmas. Time well spent, indeed.

A.M.W.

No comments:

Post a Comment