Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Storytelling in Fiction

I love a good book. After cleaning and organizing my house, I actually realized I had somehow acquired so many books over the past year or so that I will need to buy another bookcase, as the one I have is already stuffed full. I love being able to open a book and mentally walk right into a different world. I like to read comedy more than watch it, and I am a sucker for a good who-dun-it, mainly because I like to see if I can spot the foreshadowing before the "who" is unmasked at the end.

I like being able to write stories too; worlds just spinning about in my brain, full of people and relationships and conversations. Being able to write it all out is freeing both mentally and emotionally to me, so most of my stories are for me. There are some worlds, some characters, which I wouldn't mind writing whole novels about and actually publish it, but for now I'm keeping those worlds to myself.

I also love video games. There has been some very well-crafted, fully realized, world building storytelling found in video games both currently and I would say in the past decade. I especially love the ones where you can play the game two different ways; either follow the main story/plot/conceit of the game and get see the world built around you one way, or you can take the time to talk to all the characters, do all the little side-quests, and uncover a completely different way to look at the world you are playing in.

I think the thing I love most about storytelling in fiction is the world building. What is so special about this particular world, this setting, that can draw people in? Of all the infinite possible worlds that one could build, what makes the particular world in that book/game/show the best setting for the characters and storylines? It fascinates me, like discovering a new world every time I open a book or boot up a new video game or watch a new show or movie, and it is in the discovery that we have joy.

So raise a glass for the storytellers; every book, every show, every movie, every video game you and I enjoy would not exist without them. 

A.M.W.

No comments:

Post a Comment