Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Imitation As A Form Of Learning

Back in the day, when the world was young and so was I, I took a variety of writing courses. One of the ones that I learned the most from was a creative writing course run by a local author via my community college. Her writing exercises were always good, because she asked us to challenge ourselves by grabbing a random author, reading some short stories of theirs, and then writing a short story that imitates their writing style.

It was because of this course that I was able to pick up writing styles quickly and efficiently. I think it also helped when it came to picking up computer platforms; if you're looking on how best to adapt your thinking on how to communicate, you're also looking on how best to use the tools given to you to accomplish that communication.

When I feel stuck in a rut, I go back to this writing exercise. I will pick a book at random off my bookcase (I will roll dice to get a random shelf number/book number), read it enough to get a handle on the style, and then write a short story in that style. It helps me think outside of my usual box, and oftentimes it helps me figure out a problem I'm facing in my own writing.

I have used this trick when it comes to technical writing and proposal writing too. If I am unsure about how best to put together a document, I can search for something in the same genre, and then imitate that format and style of writing to put together my document. Continual learning and ability to adapt is key to stay relevant in the current workforce, especially when it comes to content creation.

So the next time you're feeling stuck, pick up a book! It may be the creative bump you need to get out of that rut.

-A.M.W.

No comments:

Post a Comment