Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Rediscovery and Going Back to An Old Title

Confession: I had forgotten about this blog, which I had the last time I was unemployed. The only reason I found it was because I was updating the sections of my LinkedIn and didn't know what the "Blog" link was referring to, so I clicked on it.

It has been more than seven years since I updated this space, and it is like digging up a piece of my past that I once loved. I stopped updating this space for the very simple reason that I had found full-time employment. I had a wonderful time working for a mid-sized, enthusiast-centered publication company in my town. At first I was in their Customer Support department, and then I earned a promotion-transfer into their eCommerce Operations department. It was both stability and a growing experience, which I needed during that time in my life, and I am thankful to have had it.

Unfortunately, the company went the way of Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and while several companies bought up brands held under the parent umbrella, and a couple small companies rose from the ashes, I was laid off at the end of July 2019. Many of the smaller companies either weren't going to have an online store, or they already had somebody to run it, so I as an eCommerce Operations Coordinator was deemed redundant. I received a truly lovely and thoughtful gift basket from my supervisor on the last day, as well as lunch from my favorite deli in town on her dime, which she didn't need to do but I really appreciated. Business is business, and I walked out with no hard feelings, and a smile on my face as I took my last box of cubicle decor out to my car.

After about a month of searching, I was able to acquire a part-time job doing magazine subscription management with one of the small companies created from smaller parts of the old company. It is nice to be part of an office for about 20 hours a week, but it isn't full-time work, so I am looking for the next way to exercise my knowledge and widen my skillset.

I have my eyes set on what I want to do next: Technical Writing and/or Technical Editing, with an interest in Proposal Writing and/or Grant Writing.

I am, once again, a Wordsmith for Hire.

No comments:

Post a Comment