Friday, September 9, 2011

Nice & Reliable Transportation

I have a car; her name is Stacy. She's a 1999 Chevy Malibu, and despite being well over a decade old, runs pretty well. In a world where one of the most important questions on a pre-interview application is "Do you have reliable transportation/your own car?", I have always been glad that my car runs well.

Sure, she has a rust spot, and the back seat windows won't roll down anymore, and because I have to park outside it seems like her natural taupe color is perpetually a little darker because of the dirt, but I try to keep her nice. For the majority of the time, she looks good, and that's pretty important if a potential employer sees your ride.

However, from the driver's side, Stacy doesn't look good today. I was running errands and had the front windows down because it was finally warm enough again to have them open. When I got back home, I rolled up the windows. The passenger side window went up just fine...the driver's side did until I heard a horrid *chunk-chunk*, which I think might have been the motor for the window giving up the ghost, because the window stopped moving...an inch to inch-and-a-half before it would have closed.

I just got back inside after cellophaning/taping the gap so bugs and rain (but mostly bugs) don't get into my car. Thankfully I had some heavy-duty clear packing tape (I refuse to duct-tape my car), so Stacy doesn't look too much like a reject. I probably shouldn't worry about it, because the gap is so small compared to what it could be, and from several angles looking at Stacy it doesn't even show, but I can't shake the feeling that if an employer sees Stacy as she looks now, I'm going to be judged negatively for it.

In brighter news, my writer's block is gone, I have complete outlines for both a children's book and a young-adult humor/parody book, I have conducted one more interview for my thesis, and I have a job interview this Monday with the city I live in! *crosses fingers* It's for an actual technical writing job, which makes me all sorts of happy; this could be my foot in the door to a great job for a great city.

-AMW

No comments:

Post a Comment