Saturday, September 17, 2011

If you can't be an Intern, you can always Volunteer

Scenario: You've done all the paperwork, sometimes months in advance, and you have sent in everything a company has asked for...but you still didn't get the internship. Getting an actual job doesn't seem to be in the works, because your resume is a little flat. So how do you fill it up so hiring managers take a good look at you?

One of the best ways to beef up a resume is through volunteer work. This is something I've been told by, well, lots of people through the years. It's a way for your resume to look current, and a lot of volunteers who do really good work can get their supervisors to write recommendations for them.

I think if I don't get a job soon, I'm going to start volunteering at a couple places in town. I know there is a cat rescue that can always use an extra pair of hands (and my previous vet experience should really work well there). There is also the LAMBDA center, which I'm going to look into a bit more before making a decision.

Hooray for backup plans!
-AMW

No comments:

Post a Comment